Monday, October 24, 2011

"Tethered",


My latest painting titled "Tethered" takes a more conventional approach to watercolor in that I actually used watercolor, not food coloring. (See the last blog for the results of that experiment!) Colors are loose and fluid. The rocks actually started as one big wet, sloppy mass of Payne's gray, ultramarine blue,and a touch of alizarin crimson...and lots of water. I started this painting as a demo in my Watercolor class to demonstrate the wet on wet technique, which I love. This is, I think the beauty of watercolor. There is nothing more fun than watching the colors mix, blend and do their thing. The hard part is that it's kind of like playing chess. You need to plan about 4 steps ahead in order to create that "spontaneous " feel, and to make sure the colors you choose blend nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment