Saturday, June 11, 2016

Somethin's Fishy and It's 5 O'clock Somewhere



Breaking Out

A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to break away from the watercolor and acrylic landscapes for a bit. I had been thinking of experimenting with mono-prints.  I had taught a mono-print class at the Y Arts Studio a couple of years ago and really enjoyed experimenting by adding other media to embellish the final piece. 

So I printed several color field backgrounds (it looked like Mark Rothko had invaded my studio---Ok that's an Art History reference --you can look it up). Anyway, when the color fields had dried I added the focal points by printing fish stencils on the top print, and creating martini and wine glass shapes out of cardboard for the other mono-print. The shaggy borders were made by inking cardboard scraps and printing them to help define the picture plane. (I actually used paint, not ink but you get the idea.)

After all of that had dried I added other decorative elements with markers and stenciled letters. The process is a lot of fun and it's very freeing to break out into something new and different.




No comments:

Post a Comment