Sunday, October 2, 2016

New Images for Land--Sky--Water at Tyler Art Gallery @Oswego State Downtown

Bellingham Rain, watercolor


New Show, New Images

Over the last 6 weeks I have been preparing some new images for my upcoming show at Tyler Art Gallery @Oswego State Downtown. The exhibit titled Land--Sky--Water will feature at least 4 new watercolors and 3 new acrylic paintings.

These pieces, along with 7 other paintings are all about atmosphere and less about portraying a specific location. There are a couple of paintings with some landmark images which will immediately betray their location, but all of the others are non-specific. 

Haunted by Water

To quote Norman Maclean in A River Runs Through It and Other Stories, I am haunted by waters.
I have always been drawn to the water and find my self most at peace when I am by the water. I love painting the shimmering surface of the water mirroring the moods of the sky and the morning mist rising and mingling with the air in such a way that it's hard to tell where the land begins and the water ends.


Those are types of paintings you will find in this show. A little less detailed than some of my other work; it's definitely all about atmosphere and using the push-pull of warm and cool colors to convey depth and mood.

The show opens November 4 with a reception from 5:00 - 7:00 pm. I'll be giving an artist talk around 6:00 pm followed by a presentation by a poet and a graphic designer. They will be discussing how my work is interpreted in their art form.

I hope you will join us!







No comments:

Post a Comment