Tuesday, March 26, 2013

In preparation for my show "Time Stands Still" I have been gathering my artwork into a corner of my basement and my blog posts into a printable file on my computer. Since many of my posts have to deal with the paintings, I thought it would be a logical step to include the posts in the show to accompany the artwork. The show after all is being held in a library...so we must have some readers there! Over the past few years my blog has evolved into a teaching device which I use with my adult students in the YMCA Arts Studio in Fayetteville. Many of the posts will deal with the elements and principles of design; others will offer a glimpse of what motivated me to paint the picture. The paintings in this exhibit all deal with nature. The places we return to year after year where time seems to have stood still: the lakes, the rivers, the mountains and the woods; the much needed refuges from modern life. Here we are provided with a sense of peace and tranquility. The daily pressures disappear and we stop moving long enough to feel the heartbeat of nature and the cycle of the seasons. We find that indeed time has not stood still, but finally we have. The more time spent in the company of nature the more we grow to be part of it. And as we become more a part of nature, the more protective we become of our resources. In 2007, my husband and I bought a camp in the Indian Rivers Lakes Region. Time spent at camp and in the nearby Thousand Islands has provided an endless source of inspiration for my artwork. And also a sense of ownership and responsibility for the resources in the region. It is wise to remember the Native American proverb "Treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents,it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children". It is my hope that in each of these paintings I have captured a moment where time has stood still, at least long enough for us to appreciate the natural beauty of our area and to insure that it remains as beautiful for future generations. "Time Stands Still" April 2 - 30 Petit Library, 105 Victoria Place Syracuse NY Opening reception April 6, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment