Friday, February 27, 2015

Designing Your Art Studio: Natural Light, Storage and a Door!



What do you need for a Studio space? Are you trying to set up a space to call your own? Where you can paint, or otherwise create? Where you can leave a painting to dry and know that it will not be disturbed?

I have had a space to call my studio ever since I was a teenager. My first "studio" was in my parents' basement. It was cold and full of spiders. This was by no means a finished basement. It was more accurately called by the old fashioned term: the cellar. But it was mine and I loved it. It's where I spent hours creating horrible teenage art.

After college my studios were wherever I could find a spot in my current dwelling. My living room served as my studio in my first apartment. When my cat walked through my palette, and then proceeded to romp across the carpet I knew something had to change. I needed a studio with doors. At that point I realized that the only two places in the apartment with doors (the bedroom…too small and bathroom…no!) would not serve as studio spaces. So I switched to dry media.

Yes, you read that right. I actually changed my media to suit my "studio". Hopefully you will never have to do that.

After that point whenever setting up a studio I looked for three things: good natural light, storage space and a door. I currently have two studios, one at home (pictured here) and one at camp. My home studio actually does not have a door; it's a loft space. But it does have plenty of places where artwork can sit undisturbed. And the storage is excellent!

As you can see from the photo I have a countertop made from a door (hey I do have a door!!!) which I use for sketching, planning, watercolor or paperwork and an easel for acrylic painting. And that's basically all I need. A place to work, good lighting and storage. Door, optional.

What do you need in your studio?

Related posts for Windy Hill Studio Make-over Parts 1 & 2
http://joanapplebaumart.blogspot.com/2012/08/windy-hill-studio-make-over-part-1.html
http://joanapplebaumart.blogspot.com/2012/08/windy-hill-studio-make-over-part-2.html









No comments:

Post a Comment