Friday, March 6, 2015

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - "Across the Miles"



Today's painting comes to you from "Across the Miles". This is for all the young men and women far away from home, serving their country.

May the road rise up to greet you,
may all your days be bright
May love walk at your side by day, and keep you warm at night.
May all you pass upon your way 
be glad to call you friend.
And may the road rise up to greet you
and bring you home again.
(traditional)

And it is day 6 of my blog "Going Green" in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

I painted this picture a few years ago for my sons, Mike and Ben. The boots belonged to Ben and I think they were left behind intentionally because they didn't fit right. Both boys were far away from home and I was looking for a unique card to send for St. Patrick's Day. Hmmm…why not paint the boots??? WHAT? So I did.

After I finished the painting I imported it into a graphics program and designed a greeting card, printed a couple and sent them off to the boys. I'm guessing no one else in the Army or Marines received a card quite like that one!

I painted the boots again a few months later substituting the shamrocks for stars, and added a flowing red stripe. After importing that design into a graphics program, I added a patriotic border and the verse from the traditional Irish blessing. The design was used for cards and posters (8" x 10") which have sold pretty well.

You might want to take a look at a related link, a rather comical look at what prompted me to paint Army boots.
You're Painting WHAT????

That's all for today.
Slainte!

If this is your first visit to my blog and you like the Irish theme I'm working with you might want to take a look at some of the other posts from the last few days, March 1 - 5.

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - The Rising of the Moon
Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Ceili!


No comments:

Post a Comment