Saturday, March 7, 2015

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - "Steppin' Into March"



Today's painting comes from the world of Irish Dance, again. This is a common theme for me when I am working on Celtic designs. My daughter Katie danced for many years with the Johnston Irish Dancers, so I had plenty of dance related props around the house to work with.

In this case I borrowed Katie's ghillies (soft shoes) and built a design around the shoes. They are the focal point of the picture. The shoes are positioned so that they appear to be dancing. The laces loop around and around and become part of a Celtic knot pattern.

I enjoyed working with the idea of positive and negative space as I painted the Celtic pattern and shamrocks. In some case the objects are painted, in other places the area around the object (negative space) is painted creating an interplay of light and dark values and a sense of depth.

This day 7 of my blog "going green" in honor of St. Patrick's Day. I hope you are enjoying the paintings. I will keep posting Irish themed paintings till March 17.

Dance Memories

I have wonderful memories of the years my daughter danced. The times Katie and I spent together traveling to competitions with dance friends are among my favorite memories. We had a lot of laughs, shed a few tears and met so many great people along the way. And enjoyed the best music and dancing ever!!!


"Steppin' Into March" is available as a 8 x 10 print. Price $40


If this is your first visit to my artist blog and you like the Irish theme I'm working with, you might want to take a look at some of the other posts from the last few days March 1 - 6.

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Across the Miles
Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - The Rising of The Moon

Stop by my website too  https://www.windyhillstudioarts.com

Slainte!










No comments:

Post a Comment