Thursday, March 5, 2015

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - The Rising of the Moon



It's day 5 of my blog "Going Green" in honor of St. Patrick's Day!  Today's painting is called Moon over Conemarra. It reminds me of the words to the old Irish rebel song "Rising of the Moon" which dates back to the Rebellion of 1798. 

'Tis the rising of the moon, 'tis the rising of the moon
And hurrah, me boys, for freedom, 'tis the rising of the moon.

I did this painting shortly after I returned from Ireland. No photo references were used though. This came  purely from my imagination. I was experimenting with collaging torn pieces off decorative papers over watercolor. The paper used here was almost lace-like and once it was applied over the transparent watercolor it reminded me of the misty days we spent in Conemarra.

Conemarra has a stark, barren beauty. The rocky hills (bens) rise up from a hardscrabble landscape. Mist swirls in from the sea surrounding the hills obscuring all sense of depth and detail. When the mist clears, bits of lakes, and streams appear. Sheep are everywhere, including the road…especially the road! 

I tried to keep detail to a minimum here. This painting is more about atmosphere. There is a hint of land or maybe water in the lower right corner. The torn paper mimics the shapes of the bens, but is not necessarily meant to be the hills. In this painting I prefer to leave the details up to the viewer.

If this is your first visit to my blog you might want to look at the last 4 posts. They are all Irish themed in honor of St. Patrick's Day…coming up soon!

Slainte!

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Green Beer Parade
Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Dunguaire Castle Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Beach at Dingle Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green - Ceili!




No comments:

Post a Comment