Monday, March 2, 2015

Joan Applebaum Art Goes Green--Dunguaire Castle



This is day 2 of my St. Patrick's Day tribute on my blog. Today's image Castle Dunguaire comes from County Galway.

As Rich and I were driving from Connemara to the Cliffs of Moher, we came upon this lovely old castle perched on a small hill overlooking the water. Wow! Iconic Ireland was the first thought in my mind. We got out of the car, looked around and took several pictures. My intention of course was to later use the photo as reference for a painting.

About one year after our trip to Ireland I finally got around to painting this scene.  This painting was done with Pan Pastels as a demo piece for one of my classes at the Y Arts Studio. The softness of the pastels conveys a somewhat dreamy quality to the picture which I think is well suited to the subject matter.

I really loved painting the sky in this piece, and especially the clouds. Ireland has the most magnificent skies I have ever seen. Huge clouds roll in and roll out casting dramatic shadows all over the landscape. There always seems to be a bit of dewiness in the air.

In the next few days you will see more of Ireland's skies in my paintings.

Till then,
Slainte






No comments:

Post a Comment